Matt Herzberger’s (@mherzber) Session @ #stamats08
*Watch the Presentation Video*
Goals & Research
- migrate old posts, move to WordPress, ability to add multimedia, social media linkage, easy for writers
- evaluate what’s out there (both .edu & .com) – <3’s NYTimes.com
- talk to writers – what are their needs
- themes/designs/templates (SocialMediaRelease.org) – SMPR template
Goal: Make news sexy!!
RSS = plumbing (if only you could see the photo to go with this slide – classic!): You may not know it, but you’re consuming RSS
- writers: put it in play to see what works
- comments: convince to enable, monitor
- add multimedia: writers tend not to care
- Pay: Vocus, CustomScoop, Trackur
- Free: Google Alerts, Technorati, Blog Pulse, Compete, del.icio.us
Future: What’s next
- Do reporters in your area want RSS feeds instead of e-mails, faxes, paper press releases?
- Check out Texas A&M Engineering News site
- University of Illinois, Springfield
- BU Today
- Stanley Cup Winner JS Giguere Tackles…
- WebEx launches the Green Guide to your Office
How to practically start w/ limited resources:
- use WordPress – known for 5 min install
- redeploy writers – they’re already writing, just change where they’re putting it
- they’re already taking photos – use them here
- find creative ways to add sound & video – try SlideShowPro. Beauty of YouTube – they don’t have to be polished. Flip & Kodak video cameras.
Social Media News Release
MNR on MNR
Shana · November 6, 2008 at 2:55 pm
Loving the updates from the conference. Keep them coming.
Blog High Ed » Blog Archive » All of Stamats08 · November 6, 2008 at 2:41 pm
[…] Live Blogging: Press Release 2.0 – News Releases in the Social Media Era […]